Newton Le Willows - Bedale - North Yorkshire

 Local History Group

A Village History Guide

 

Newton-Le-Willows is a village situated in Lower Wensleydale off the A684 between Bedale and Leyburn.  Available records show a settlement here before the Norman Conquest and it is mentioned in the Domesday Book (1008).

 

Through Land ownership the village has ancient connections with Richmond, Middleham and latterly Jervaulx Abbey under the ownership of the Marquess of Aylesbury, the influence of whom led to significant changes to the predominantly agricultural way of life.

With the introduction of a village school, the arrival of the railway and its associated industries, and the building of Aysgarth School, the growth and independence of Newton-Le-Willows was secured.

 

At various times in its more recent history, the village has had a Post Office, grocer's, butcher's, blacksmith's, a cobbler, a foundry, a public house, a hotel, and a railway station.  As one resident told us, you could buy everything from coal to school uniforms, without leaving the village.

 

Today, as in many rural communities, these facilities no longer exist.  Community life centres on the Village Hall where varied activities take place throughout the year.

 

 CENSUS

 

1841

1851

1861

1871

1881

1891

1901

1911

 

Click on a "Date" above to open Census in a separate window

To contact the local History Group, please use the "Contact Us" page.

 BIRTHS & BAPTISMS

 

1723 - 1865

DEATHS

 

1754 - 1876

MARRIAGES

 

1696 - 1866

 

Click on a "Date" above to open in a separate window

Make a free website with Yola